The Inkwell

Clicky clicky typey typey clicky click

It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 20:12

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to The Inkwell!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view our off-topic, news and helpdesk departments.

Joining our free community will enable you to post your own creative works, critique the works of other users and discuss your works with like-minded writers.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: December
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 23:43 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 13 time
The day had come to clean out the office. They all knew it was coming a while ago, a constant event hanging in the horizon. But now the day had come, it was like the first time like Amber had heard the news.

It was a cold December evening with slushy ice on the pavement. Her warm bed and left over Christmas snacks begged her to stay at home, but she felt a sense of purpose and curiosity to go back to the office again.

The route from the tube station to the business park, one she had done many times before, felt new to her. There was a strange sense of nostalgia for the walk that used to seem irksome. The courtyard was poorly illuminated, slipping slightly on the ice, she made her way to glass doors of the building and punched in her passcode.

The complex was eerily quiet as she made her way up to the third floor office. Had everyone else forgotten?

There was a distant sound of music down the corridor, much to her surprise she wasn’t the first one there. It seemed that many had come back, those who were involved in the project up until the end and those she hadn’t seen since the beginning. They drank up the rest of the beer and coffee as they cleared the cupboards and desks.

They chatted about the holidays, who came round for Christmas dinner, plans for New Year’s Eve… all skirting around the real reason they were at the office. Saying hello to her old desk neighbour, Ross, Amber went to what was her desk. Her bittersweet second-home. Another wave of nostalgia hit her as she picked up her doodled notebook and her untidy pile of drafts for the magazine.

‘Hey, here’s some of the digital stuff of yours I had on my computer.’ Said one of the girls that worked in the tech department, handing Amber a memory stick.
‘I really underestimated how much stuff I had here’ Amber said as she pulled out yet more folders from under her desk.
‘That’s a lot of paper! You going to keep it all?’
‘Keep it.’ Chipped in Ross.
Amber looked puzzled. What would she do with all this stuff? Where would she even keep it?
‘At least just read through it all. Who knows what you will find!’ said Ross, reading her mind.

Amber knew she couldn’t give it her full attention now, but she leafed through some of the pages. She smiled as she recognised the handwriting of her colleagues and the disjointed writing style of her first year at the magazine.
With everything worth keeping backed up or in bags, they left the office. Some for a drink, others to go home.

Amber was the last the leave. She looked around the office one last time. She couldn’t believe it was over. It hadn’t sunk in yet. While she didn’t know what was going to happen next, she didn’t feel as sad as she thought she would. She felt somewhat proud of the heft of papers weighing down her bag.

They were part of something. It happened.

She flicked the lights out and joined the others in the corridor.

On a separate note:
Thanks again to the administrators over the past few years! I’ve read some fantastic stuff on the forum and it’s kept alive, though waning slightly, my love for writing. Best wishes all xx

~Nicole

Am I nothing more than a line in your book?
<3

Post subject: Re: December
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2015, 17:56 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 135 time
That was a lovely little read, Lost. It's a bittersweet moment for the story and it sort of reminds me of a few of the magazines I've read in the past before they've folded.

It's great, thank you so much for writing the HHC - and it will be published in the next seasonal issue on Inkblots next year. :)

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]