The Inkwell

Clicky clicky typey typey clicky click

It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 20:08

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to The Inkwell!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view our off-topic, news and helpdesk departments.

Joining our free community will enable you to post your own creative works, critique the works of other users and discuss your works with like-minded writers.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: A Birthday Party
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 04:26 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 120 time
The Inkwell's birthday is just around the corner on November 15th, so I thought a writing game might be apt!

Please treat this thread as a roleplaying game in which you control a character who has your username and looks like your avatar (if appropriate), and you can add to the general narrative at any point, though for the sake of storytelling the admins reserve the right to edit out inconsistencies etc.

Well, I might as well start this thing off! Lead by example or whatever. If nobody else pitches in, yes I will have a tea party by myself. :)

The setting: A long wooden table covered in a random selection of tablecloths, with two long benches along each side. The table sits in a grassy clearing. The trees surrounding it have been shedding a few leaves in the early November wind, and the ground is littered with gold and brown leaves, dead and crunchy underfoot.

The table is set for a tea party; each place mat is topped with a small china plate with a pattern chosen to fit the guest who will sit there, and a matching teacup. A total of four teapots grace the table with their presence, but they are empty and will continue to be so for some time. After all, the party is not due to start yet! None of the guests have even arrived, bar the guest of honour, the birthday girl, who is a constant presence in this glade.

The only other party member present is the butler, Lilith, who has donned a waistcoat over her usual black dress (her fairy wings, yes, still visible, and she reminds the casual reader that she addressed the issue of wings and waistcoats a good long time ago). She places a name card on each empty china plate, crossing her fingers and hoping that somebody else will be coming to join her soon.

D'aww. :) Meep!

Post subject: Re: A Birthday Party
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 05:07 
Notepad

Have thanks: 37 time
Doishy enters.

Clad in fine silk garb from literal head to toe he strides purposefully forwards proclaiming as such "Tea, Black, Two Sugars."

He presents himself most finely and sits three apces down from the position at the head of the table on the right hand side. Making a slight nod towards Lilith he starts his vigil awaiting for the party to come and hoping that biscuits and / or cakes will be available.

all of which comprised the arcane star.
----------------------------------------

Meow

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 19:57 
Ringbinder

Have thanks: 8 time
Enigma walked in shortly after. Her pale Leather Armour clung close to her body and her hair fell loosely around her shoulders.

She slid her sword into the sheath at her waist and sat down across the table from Doishy, even though her name card was not there.

"it's been an eventful year" she said to no one in particular, "but where is everyone?"

"You took a plot that, given to most other writers, would have been about as appealing as an orange flavoured turd and you turned it into something brilliant, you flipped the fantasy genre on it's head."

Thanks Richard :) xx

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 21:12 
Typewriter

Lilith hastily swaps the namecards around so that Fantasy Girl's is in front of her. She is able to do this instantaneously, since of course the table is magical. Taking her butlering duties very seriously, she picks up a nearby teapot and begins pouring a cup for Doishy.

"Everyone of import will be here Miss Fantasy," she replies, though the comment was not directed at her, "never fear. Though I must say, I've heard some nasty rumours about abductions up in the northern hills..."

A plate fills itself with cupcakes. Lilith helps herself. *Eats an actual cupcake*

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 22:38 
Ringbinder

Enigma shakes her head.

"Lilith, I never thought you to be one to listen to idle gossip..." Looks at the tea with a slight frown "Got anything a bit stronger?"

"You took a plot that, given to most other writers, would have been about as appealing as an orange flavoured turd and you turned it into something brilliant, you flipped the fantasy genre on it's head."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 01:23 
Typewriter

"Honestly, Enigma," Lilith says loudly, shaking her head. She does, however, pull a small flask of whiskey from the inside of her waistcoat, and place it on the table with a wink.

"Cupcake, anyone? They're delicious."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 13:32 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 135 time
"I shall take one, as per usual." Silver flashes a smile as she walks into the beautiful clearing, china plates glistening on the table under the twinkling autumnal sunshine. With a swish of her dress and a small flutter of her wings, Silver takes her place at the table.

"Oh, this is a delightful spread Lilith. You've outdone yourself this year, my lovely. Yes, yes, I shall take a coffee with my cupcake - just milk please."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 14:18 
Typewriter

Spoiler:
It's really convenient how all our avatars are in such formal dress.

"I take it that nobody else has heard about the abductions then? Hikers and writers alike going missing? Large, mysterious footprints noticed as far south as the Hidden Kingdom?"

Lilith pours coffee from a teapot. She doesn't understand quite why.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 14:55 
Ringbinder

Enigma smiles as she takes a tot of whiskey and a cupcake.

"I don't see why people are getting all... worried about this abduction thing. it's not like we know any of them, they're just people. Sh** happens."

She takes a bite of her cupcake and shakes her head.

"Nice to see you again, Silver, looking amazing as usual!"

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 19:08 
Post-it-note

Have thanks: 6 time
"I would like six cupcakes and a small glass of...erm... well, blood. I guess." Rivers announces, appearing seemingly out of nowhere and sitting in the nearest seat to her (inconveniently enough, at least 4 spaces away from everyone else at the table). she flashes a toothy, fanged, and well meaning grin down at her friends. "Abductions, hmm? Personally, I think it's ice giants."
Rivers long stopped expecting anyone to take her ridiculous theories seriously. They accepted her vampirism (some reluctantly), but seemed mostly perplexed by her other oddities.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 20:21 
Typewriter

Lilith pours out a small glass of blood, and sniffs it curiously before placing it in front of Rivers.

"Did everyone get here OK? I'm glad so many people are early. More tea for us... And more coffee, whiskey and... blood."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 20:47 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 12 time
"I'll just have water, please," a muffled voice announces from somewhere under the table.

Hidden slightly behind the edges of a checkered tablecloth, the heavy oak trunk containing Bobartles shakes a little. The sound of rattling silver chains almost drowns out the strained, slightly manic tones of the box's inhabitant.

"Abductions? Well, it wasn't me. Not this time."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 20:48 
Typewriter

"Do you think we should let him out?" Lilith raises an eyebrow quizzically.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 20:51 
Scrap paper

"No, don't!" the voice from the box suddenly becomes a little panicked, "It's really quite cosy. And abduction-free."

Bobartles, with an audible effort, begins to hop his trunk towards the nearest chair.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:12 
Ringbinder

"I would... would be quite funny to see what is inside. Who knows, might be quite fun!"

She takes another cup cake and finished the whiskey

"Any more of this stuff?"

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:22 
Post-it-note

"I vote we open it. See what happens!" Rivers lifts the box and places it, less gently than perhaps she should, onto a chair. She jumps into the air, hovering about a meter above the table, positioned as though she were lounging comfortably on a bed. When she thinks no one is looking, she switches the cups of those sitting at the table. she also steals Liliths teapot and begins to pour it, staring with curiosity at the strange brown liquid pouring out, oblivious to the mess she is creating.
"yeuch." she decides, letting go of the pot, which stays where she left it, still pouring.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:27 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 19 time
"Why, yes... yes, there is."

The muttering among the room stops, and all focus on the wretched, round fellow that is... Exthreenaughrus. He had quite easily been in the trunk entire time, looking at everyone through the cracks in apparent disgust -- most would not know that his face was merely stuck like this.

Three steps out, all eyes were upon him.

"Behold, dwellers. I am more than just figure that may-or-may-not-be transparent! I am skilled at one thing that no university, underground village, or poorly-constructed webpage from 2005 could teach me... PARTYING!"

He quickly implies a drinking challenge, eyeing the trunk in which he came from, more often than not. He is -- not-surprisingly -- surprised at the lack of positive response!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:36 
Scrap paper

"... how did you just appear from my trunk?"

Bobartles' muffled voice is both shocked and tinged with suspicion. His chains rattle ominously.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:49 
Post-it-note

Rivers twisted sharply in midair, to better gawk at the newcomer. Her lose fitting clothing easily allowed for this - the plain purple top that so perfectly matched her hair, and black shorts, had been chosen specifically for this purpose. An instinctive hiss escaped her. Ugh, and now he had made her react. She hated reacting, especially so... audibly.
"Drinking contest?" she queried, a hint of enthusiasm shading her voice. "I am quite thirsty... a girl's gotta keep her strength up."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:54 
Scrap paper

Bobartles appears to still be in his own stunned little world.

"But... it's not even big enough for you in here! How were you here the whole time?"

The box shudders a little on the chair.

"I need a drink..."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:06 
Ringbinder

"It's alright Bob, Three thinks he's all that, but he's really not, just ignore him. I would offer you some Whiskey, but i seem to have drunk it all and have no idea where the Butler is..."

Stares at Three in curiosity. "I would join you in this drinking game... but i don't have a drink. Looks like i'm out."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:11 
Post-it-note

"I think I just found my drink" Rivers mutters, still glaring. Without shifting her gaze from Three, she places a glass of water on top of Bobartles' box, floating just above it.
"Erm... I'm not actually sure how to give you this... without..." she trails off, momentarily perplexed by the conundrum pof the box. "Shall I just open it?" her curiosity about the box overwhelms her urge to start a fight, and she drops the glare.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:13 
Scrap paper

"You can give it a go, certainly. There's a bit of give in the chains."

There is a hint of sinister glee to Bobartles' voice.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:16 
Post-it-note

Rivers drops and twists so her face is a few inches from the box, her legs hanging comically in the air above her. She forgets to care. should she open the box? There was that phrase about curiosity and cats, and imminent and terrifying death... but since when did she listen to reason or caution? She reaches out, tugging at the chains slightly, shifting the lid a few centimeters.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:25 
Scrap paper

Hinges creaking with age, the lid lifts slightly, revealing the contents of Bobartles' mysterious trunk.

Inside the box... is another box; a little smaller, and chained shut like the first.

The lid drops again, nudging River's fingers out of the way.
"Thanks, but I've got this one," Bobartles chuckles.

There is an unsettling slurping sound from inside the trunk, followed by a slight clink. The glass of water, previously in plain sight on the wooden lid, is now conspicuously absent.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:28 
Post-it-note

Well. That was horribly disappointing. Sulkily, Rivers sits on the first, larger box, drumming her heels loudly against the sides and -well, pouting.
"You're no fun, Bobartles. Y'know that?" she mutters grumpily. She shifts slightly to reach for her glass of blood, before returning to loudly kicking the chest and her previous pastime of glaring at Three.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:32 
Scrap paper

Blustery sounds of indignation emanate from the wooden trunk.

They are duly ignored.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:35 
Ringbinder

"and there was me thinking that it was going to be exiting..."

Enigma looks bored, and then her place-mat magically produces another flask of whiskey.

"Wow! Now I'm happy!"

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 22:43 
Post-it-note

Rivers looks over at Enigma, and sighs loudly.
"Well if you want something exciting to happen, do something exciting?" She snaps, still sulking. She's run out of blood, and can't work out how to make the teapots give her more. A thought strikes her "I mean... are you up for a game of tag?" her eyes sharpen, turning red, and her face distorts slightly, giving her a stretched, waxy look. Her fangs are suddenly much more noticable. "I'm thirsty.... and without a butler, what am I to do?" she rises from the box, grinning and floating slowly towards Enigma. "I'm it..."

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 23:26 
Ringbinder

"I think i'll give that a miss thanks Rivers... I'm... going to look for Lilith..."

Enigma unsheathes her sword and backs out of the clearing slowly, keeping her eye on Rivers.

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]