The Inkwell

Clicky clicky typey typey clicky click

It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 20:12

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to The Inkwell!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view our off-topic, news and helpdesk departments.

Joining our free community will enable you to post your own creative works, critique the works of other users and discuss your works with like-minded writers.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: A Somewhat Overdue Announcement
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 17:36 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 120 time
Hi there, everyone.

I only want to say this once so I'm making it a global announcement - have I ever done a global announcement before? Not sure. Anyway, to the main point.

As of the 1st of next month, I will no longer be your admin. Emboldening that felt very cheap, but it's important, soo...

In practical terms, this means that I am cancelling the direct debit that pays for ad removal. It seems that the payment to keep our domain name just expired too. If you want those things to continue, hit the donate button at the bottom of the screen and pester your admin, whoever that might be, telling them what you want done with the money. This is a system we've had for years but I guess not everyone knows about it.

Slightly more critically, the forum needs a leader. You will still have two excellent admins, but they are busy busy people. If you want to become an admin, post a comment below and then it can be sorted democratically.

People are probably going to want to know why I'm leaving, which is a complicated, multi-faceted issue, so I'mma put it in a spoiler and if you want to read it you can, though don't expect coherence.

Spoiler:
I graduated last summer in a class of people I didn't know. Due to my resits and all the people who resat with me eventually failing an exam or moving on to pastures new, I had to stand and have my graduation photo taken next to people who were borderline strangers. It felt very lonely. I headed home for the summer and had a lovely few months, taking care of dogs, working two jobs at once for one week, rocking out during folk week as I tried to balance my job and running the music for a kids' workshop. I'm not complaining about those months, they were wonderful. I was optimistic about the future, I had a place to live in September, friends who cared about me, and I knew where I could get a job.

Then, ofc, I got the job. Tuition! Great idea, right? Potentially the worst mistake of my life. For three months I worked between thirty and sixty hour weeks with students I didn't choose, teaching them subjects I didn't know anything about, with the constant fear that my boss would walk in and start criticising my every move, something which he did with startling regularity. My confidence took a major hit. Around the same time I phased the medication I take for anxiety and depression down from 40 to 30mg, another dumb mistake. My housemates - through no real fault of their own - did not help, and I feared my kitchen nearly as much as my workplace. I declined from everything a little at a time, including eating, sleeping, and the forum. When my boss announced that I had to work December 23rd so that other people could travel home to their families - ignoring the fact that I was a few hundred miles from home and hadn't seen my family in months - it was the final straw, and I quit.

Over the next few months, I didn't get better. With no reason to get out of bed, I mostly didn't. When getting my medication became increasingly difficult, I came off it altogether. A few times, I managed to get online and take a look at the forum, and each time it made me feel awful about myself. Call it self-absorbed, but I blamed the drop in activity on myself. In May, we had lower activity stats than in our first month of existence, a month where the stat counter started on the 15th. Eventually, I started having doubts about whether we could ever get the forum going again. I pulled myself together and contacted the other admins, asking if they could dedicate the time to a big push, trying to get activity rolling again. Course, I'd forgotten how busy they were.

I should probably have made this announcement at that point, but for some reason it only motivated me to try harder. For a few weeks I did everything I could think of to get people online and writing. It might've been enough, if I'd kept it going, but then my grandma passed away. She was, for the record, a wonderful lady, and her funeral did not do her justice.

Anyway. I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that I tried, and even though part of me wants to keep on trying, I can't do it forever. I did five years, and that'll have to be enough. I'm really sorry, guys.

Before I sign off, I want to say thank you to all the members who have graced the forum with their presence over the years. I wouldn't have bothered putting all the work in in the first place if it weren't for you! We've had some amazing times here and I'm proud to have been a part of them.

Thanks for reading. Head Admin, signing off.

x Lilith x

Report this post

Post subject: Re: A Somewhat Overdue Announcement
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015, 06:56 
Notepad

Have thanks: 22 time
Many thanks for all of your previous input.
I wish you the best of luck for the future and hope things turn out as you wish.

Report this post

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2015, 21:08 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 51 time
Sorry for my late reply. Thought I'd replied earlier.

Want to echo the thoughts of Rob. Thanks for all the amazing things you've done for this forum Lilith! Good luck with everything!

"The story of The Beginning is my story, and if I’m going to tell it, you are not going to interrupt or question anything I tell you. Everything I will say is the truth, and you will take it as such."
Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 18:46 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 13 time
Hi Lilith, just wanted to say thanks too for all the hard work you've put into the forum. I wish you the very best :)

Am I nothing more than a line in your book?
<3

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]