The Inkwell

Clicky clicky typey typey clicky click

It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 20:10

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to The Inkwell!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view our off-topic, news and helpdesk departments.

Joining our free community will enable you to post your own creative works, critique the works of other users and discuss your works with like-minded writers.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Which do you prefer reading and writing?
Happy endings 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Sad endings 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Inconclusive endings 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Endings
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 23:53 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 7 time
Something that comes up a lot around writing awards time: why do the vast majority of books that get nominated (and thus acknowledged as "serious literature") have miserable endings or a generally depressing tone? Don't people generally prefer a happy ending?

But on the other hand, is the effect as powerful as a tragic ending? And despite all this, one of the more famous endings in literature (Charlotte Bronte's Villette) is deliberately ambiguous. Can this work? And what about what's more fun to write?

Thoughts, anyone?

(Wow, that's a lot of question marks)

I write about writing. Come and visit me! http://girlmadeoutofwords.blogspot.com

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Endings
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 00:30 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 5 time
Yay, you're back!

I prefer ambiguous endings. Reading is an interactive thing for me, my mind fills in the blanks and creates the scene with guidance from the writer, so I prefer having my own ending. If I had to choose between happy and sad endings, I'll usually prefer happy. Sometimes, though (like in Dice's Zathryn) a tragic ending is all that can happen and anything else seems forced. The movie "The Lover" had to have a bittersweet ending, a happy one would've felt false.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 09:09 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 135 time
Can't stand either happy endings or sad endings. I much prefer ambiguous/inconclusive endings, so I've selected that option.

Why?

Simply because of what George said above, much prefer to think myself of what may or may not have happened. Most of my favourite books have the inconclusive ending. It's not that is at all lazy on the writer's part, in fact I think having a deliberate happy ending is lazy, but each to their own. After all, as writers, we're supposed to get the reader to think, not merely spoon-feed them (aka J.K. Rowling).

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 13:03 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 62 time
I don't really have a preference. I find my choice of ending depends entirely on the story I am writing, if it has been a relatively sad story throughout then it will have a sad story, if it's happy then a happy ending. I sometimes play with inconclusive endings if they fit in with the style of the story

Dice wrote:
You're mad, but your writing is getting really good!

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 14:52 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 120 time
I love endings that make the reader think a bit, so inconclusive ones are often the best. Classic example; the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Offred could be taken off to a forced labour camp, made an Unwoman, killed, or it could really be Mayday, and she could be saved. We have no way of knowing. Overall, the impression I got was a positive one, and I was left with the hope that she could get out, but Atwood said in her note at the end that it was actually probably the former. Ah well. Another nice element of it was that through the whole book she never found out what had happened to her family, and at the end this did not change. We don't even know Offred's real name (though personally I believe it to be "June"). But, masterfully, all this not-knowing didn't leave me frustrated, just wondering quietly and sadly.

D'aww. :) Meep!

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 15:03 
Typewriter

Have thanks: 51 time
Sparky wrote:
I don't really have a preference. I find my choice of ending depends entirely on the story I am writing, if it has been a relatively sad story throughout then it will have a sad story, if it's happy then a happy ending. I sometimes play with inconclusive endings if they fit in with the style of the story

it does really depend on the story you're writing. Inconclusive endings are more fun though.

Think you have to be careful with happy endings as well, if you go too happy, everyone survived and got what they wanted, it can in cases become unbelievable

"The story of The Beginning is my story, and if I’m going to tell it, you are not going to interrupt or question anything I tell you. Everything I will say is the truth, and you will take it as such."
Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 16:40 
Typewriter

Dice wrote:
Think you have to be careful with happy endings as well, if you go too happy, everyone survived and got what they wanted, it can in cases become unbelievable.

In other words it becomes 'disneyfied' or has the mark of 'disneyfication'.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:07 
Typewriter

haha, but disney gets away with it cause they're disney.

What's worse is one of anime's favourites: "Let's not fight let's be friends"... f*** off, story ruined!

"The story of The Beginning is my story, and if I’m going to tell it, you are not going to interrupt or question anything I tell you. Everything I will say is the truth, and you will take it as such."
Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:10 
Typewriter

i like that anime line, especially wen its followed immediately by "No... lets fight"

Dice wrote:

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:16 
Typewriter

I cant stand it when they use it and the bad guy/s just go: yeah okay, yay everyone happy. It's an easy ending.

Keep in mind I'm saying this for the cases when i comes out of the blue, if it builds up trying to get the bad guy to see what they're doing is wrong and turn them, okay fine.

examples:
Pokemon Movie 1, Ash spends the entire movie trying to convince Mewtwo he's wrong, then one big sacrifice/event makes the difference. Good Ending

(not anime, but) Shrek 3, builds into big battle, then halfway through the battle, out of nowhere Arthur turns up and says: let's be friends, battle ends. crap ending

Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:19 
Typewriter

Dice wrote:
haha, but disney gets away with it cause they're disney.

Yes, but I actually meant when other people/writers/directors etc try to do it.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:21 
Typewriter

true, it also depends on the age it's aimed at. Stories aimed late teens or plus, generally, cant have endings like that

Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:24 
Typewriter

Yup, agreed. But some writers do try and do that... which is really annoying - most of the chick flick books, or summer reads.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 17:27 
Typewriter

isnt the point of chick flicks to be cheesy and with overall happy endings, I'm going on the american tv shows my sister watches here

Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 18:14 
Typewriter

Dice wrote:
examples:
Pokemon Movie 1, Ash spends the entire movie trying to convince Mewtwo he's wrong, then one big sacrifice/event makes the difference. Good Ending

But of course at the end of the film all the humans and pokemon learnt an important lesson - that fighting was wrong! Then of course, they got mind-wiped and returned to their routine of killing each others pets twice a day. Typical, really.

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 18:18 
Typewriter

haha true

Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 20:19 
Typewriter

Dice wrote:
isnt the point of chick flicks to be cheesy and with overall happy endings, I'm going on the american tv shows my sister watches here

Of course. That really wasn't a good example was it...

Hmmmm are there any books that are labelled as 'summer reads' that have inconclusive endings, but are also classified as chick flicks?

Report this post

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011, 00:52 
Typewriter

well considering I avoid them like the plague...

although my sister suggested i read one. I said only if she read one of mine, put her off a bit haha

Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011, 10:40 
Typewriter

It's not exactly a chick flick, but it is about teenage girls... The End of Everything by Megan Abbott. I would classify the ending as "inconclusive" not because there is a lot left to be discovered, but because it is neither happy nor sad - the characters could go either way.

Report this post

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 17:38 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 12 time
I can't stand happy endings, under any circumstances. Maybe it's because it quite possibly is the most cliche thing that ever existed. Personally, I'm a fan of inconclusive endings, especially if my story is to be read, keeps it in the readers mind for a while after :)

Report this post

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 23:39 
Typewriter

"Happy endings are stories that haven't finished yet"?

Report this post

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 02:17 
Scrap paper

Lilith wrote:
"Happy endings are stories that haven't finished yet"?

Pretty much. The one that really makes me vomit is the marriage ending in romances. I have nothing against marriage, but when it's put out there as the greatest thing that a woman can achieve I have to roll my eyes.

Report this post

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 10:17 
Typewriter

Youre right, the highest thing a woman can achieve is having kids and making a good home :P

Maebh, The Last Maysa

Report this post

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 17:49 
Typewriter

especially in the kitchen xD

Dice wrote:

Report this post

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 00:10 
Typewriter

@ Dice and Sparky.

I will END you.

Report this post

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 00:13 
Notepad

Have thanks: 37 time
I have voted Happy ending because they never happen enough. Personally I think that the inconclusive ones are the most effective/ create most dramatic style of finish but I do prefer happy and absolutely hate sad endings. Bittersweet is generaqlly fine but tends to border too much on sad.
PS: Drunk Doishy says the Q is silent.

all of which comprised the arcane star.
----------------------------------------

Meow

Report this post

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 05:18 
Scrap paper

:evil: Men!

Report this post

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 12:08 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 13 time
I love ambiguous endings, the story never ends that way!

Am I nothing more than a line in your book?
<3

Report this post

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 14:13 
Scrap paper

Have thanks: 7 time
Men indeed. Sparky, I am coming to see you this weekend and I will kick you.

Anyway, another thought: in The French Lieutenant's Woman, there are two parallel endings, one happy, one sad. And no matter how much I wanted to believe the happy ending, I knew it was really the sad one in my reading. But this was maybe because Fowles put that one last, and also because I'm a pessimist? Has anyone else read it?

I write about writing. Come and visit me! http://girlmadeoutofwords.blogspot.com

Report this post

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 18:07 
Typewriter

haha as if ya thought we were being serious...
Aaand back to topic, how do you know which ending Fowles meant?

Dice wrote:

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]